My Life

Wow! Thanks for asking. I see you don't have a life of your own.

I was born in the small town of Columbia City, Indiana on Thanksgiving Day (November 27), 1969. I have two older brothers. Jim who is three and a half years older than myself, and Jeff, who is one year older than myself (being born on Halloween 1968).

We all moved from Indiana to Dallas, Texas when my Dad landed a new job. We lived there for four years and one day. Then we moved to Richmond, Virginia when Dad received a promotion. We lived in Richmond for a little over five years. Then we moved to Raleigh, North Carolina when Dad got another promotion. By this time my eldest brother, Jim, had graduated high school and I had just started. Of course, by the time I was ready to graduate high school, Dad had taken another promotion and was working out of Providence, Rhode Island. Thankfully, Mom and Dad waited until I moved onto campus at North Carolina State University before they moved to Rhode Island.

DixieWhile attending Jessie O. Sanderson High School in Raleigh I met a beautiful girl named Dixie Marie Kapka. Our first date was October 11, 1987. She was one year ahead of me in school and graduated in 1987. I began working on my Bachelor of Environmental Design in Architecture at the School of Design (now the College of Design), NCSU in August 1988 with the hopes of getting a Bachelor in Architecture and becoming a licensed Architect. In early December of that year I asked Dixie to marry me. She finished getting her Associate Degree in Radiologic Technology from Wake Technical Community College. We were married on May 12, 1990, just after I had completed my Sophomore year at State.

By the time I received my Bachelor of Environmental Design in Architecture in December of 1992, I had decided that architecture was not my thing. I thought that Industrial Design would suite me better. So, in January of 1992, I began working on a Master of Industrial Design degree at the School of Design at NCSU. I received my Master degree in May of 1994 with a 4.0 GPA.

My first job after graduation was working as an industrial designer for a Industrial Design/Multimedia company called Electronic Customer Communications, Inc. (ECC). It was here that I was first exposed to multimedia. Dixie and I bought our first house in Knightdale, NC, a little town just east of Raleigh, on November 18, 1994. That spring we found out that we were pregnant with our first child after six months of trying (Whew!). The job at ECC lasted nine months (Thanks Max Pearsal letting me enjoy the July 4th holiday before firing me.) Being fired from ECC turned out to be a blessing. I was unhappy there and the company ended up closing shortly after I left.

My next job was at a multimedia company called TMS Interactive, (formerly The Media Shop, now part of TRG). I worked there from August 4, 1995 to March 23, 2001. I started there as a entry-level Multimedia Developer quickly learning Macromedia Director 4. During the last two years there I managed the Multimedia team.

Our first son, Austin was born November 18, 1995. Our second son, Brian was born June 18, 1998.

I worked as a Course Designer from March 26, 2001 to July 17, 2001 at, Ltd. An era I usually refer to as, "a really bad time to go work for a dot-com." Since July, 2001 I've been doing freelance work for various local companies such as, Myriad Media, Periscope3, 1st Floor Interactive, and Arrow Educational Products. And having a great time doing it, I might add.

As all things come to an end sooner or later, Dixie and I decided to separate in February of 2003. I'm currently getting used to the single life and getting a self-education on do-it-yourself divorce in North Carolina.